Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Transit Blues (the start of many If I continue taking Emirates)




















So I'm stuck here in Dubai International Airport for 10 hours - time to catch up with work that I've missed the past 2 weeks right? Wrong! Go for a little sight-seeing? Not a chance - especially with the baggage I have with me...so Here are some Time Wasters to fill in the 10 hrs sitting around doing nothing (in no particular order, and you're welcome to repeat these until you're bored!) :

1. Read a book (0 mins!) . I bought john Grisham's 'the Broker (which proclaims to be the no 1 best seller - all books seems to be that huh?), to read while I'm here. As of the time of going to 'press', I still havent taken the book out of the plastic bag... maybe after lunch

2. Have something nice to eat (45 mins). I feel like a bloody Hobbit having like 13 meals a day. I had my first breakfast at 4am in the morning (somewhere over west coast India) and after a few hours here, I went to check out the McDs! They've got a good foodcourt here, so I'll check out that again




















3. Tour the airport (30 mins). Did that from the second I landed - took out the Canon and took some photos of the airport - It was great as it was 5am and there werent a lot of people around.

4. Blog and surf! (2 hrs) The whole airport is Wi-Fi'd so you can be sitting anywhere and be doing this - well look at the pic up there. Planted myself near a wall-socket (juice for my phone and laptop) and busy updating ezalman_too (which has been neglegted for about a month!). Yes, I'm sitting on a hard floor by the way. Time sure flew by when you're busy racking the brain for ideas and proper written grammar...

5. Go to the toilet (30 mins). Haha had to go twice here, the memorable thing was that the water from the bidet was hot - butt-scalding hot!! Don't know if the germs in 'the surrounding areas' survived - I think they did...they always do!!

6. Sleep (2 hrs)...or attempt to anyway - its the usual scene after a red-eye flight. Passengers waiting in transit making the empty hallways their second home. I mean people were sleeping behind the benches, under them, over them, nowehere near them...found myself a nice leather seat and slept on-and-off for 2 hrs. At the end of it I had a stiff neck and tired legs...should have slept underneath the benches like everyone else eh?

7. Window shopping (1hr) not the same with touring the airport. I was told of Dubai's legendary duty free shops - and I found out that you can see all of it in 15 mins...what a let down. I think it is worth checking out the larger shops in the city, so I'll definitely do so in July. Of course, I spent the most time in the Gadget/PC/PSP corner...yes, iPod's are cheaper here, sayang!

Ok, that's about 6-7 hrs accounted for. Since I'm still here, I think I'll use up the remaining waiting time to go to the toilet (!) and repeating some of the time wasters above. Shortly, I plan to get some chocolates and maybe get a spot of lunch (last chance to eat McDs for a month!)...and maybe, just maybe, start on Time Waster #1...

2 comments:

Ezalman 9:09 AM  

...in the end I didnt read the book while on transit...lesson learnt? dont buy a book with the intention of reading it during the transit - I managed to survive on a free copy of the Dubai International Airport mag, a 2 day old Malay Mail paper, and a McDs nutritional pamphlet...!

Ezalman 9:14 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
4Es are Ezalman Reezal, Esyikeen, Ehsan and Erica. We are currently living in Khartoum, Sudan. We hope to go home for good in the coming months. But until then...
Powered By Blogger

Archive

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP